Dr. Arnold A. Barnes Jr. from the USAF Phillips Lab gave a presentation titled “Session B: Advanced Weapon/Instrumentation Technologies.” where he discussed making “Owning the Weather in 2025” a reality. John Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory. Note: HAARP on page 6.
This presentation before the US Army/Air Force attendees comes two years after two FOIA documents showing intention to use Carbon Black Dust for cloud seeding and warfare purposes. See References below.
Treaty Issues 
- The U. N. Convention on the Prohibition of Military or any other Hostile Use of Environmental Modification, which went into effect 5 October 1978, applies only to “widespread, long-lasting or severe” environmental modifications.
- Local, non-permanent changes, such as precipitation enhancement, hail suppression
- Since 1978 the official Air Force position has been that weather modification had little utility or military payoff as a weapon of war.
- The official Air Force position needs to be reevaluated:
- In the light of 19 years of scientific advances
- In the light of advanced weapon systems which are more environmentally sensitive
- To prepare against technological surprise
Notes: Air University's SPACECAST 2020 contains a section on Counterforce Weather Control for force enhancement which identifies the necessary prerequisites “Atmospheric scientists have pursued terrestrial weather modification in earnest since the 1940s, but have made little progress because of scientific, legal, and social concerns, as well as certain controls at various government levels. Using environmental modification techniques to destroy, damage, or injure another state are prohibited. However, space presents us with a new arena, technology provides new opportunities, and our conception of future capabilities compels a reexamination of this sensitive and potentially risky topic.” “The difficulty, cost, and risk of developing a weather control system for military applications are extremely high. However, the potential benefits for national security." SPACECAST 2020 has been updated by AF 2025
Related Timeline Entries
- U.S. Navy Creates and Destroys Clouds Using Carbon Black
- Steering Hurricanes with Carbon Black Dust
- The Environmental Modification Convention (ENMOD) Weather Warfare Ban
- Stanford Star Lab: New Concepts in Ionospheric Modification
- Department of Defense HAARP Steering Group - Joint Services Program
- International Treaties and Active Experiments in Space
- FOIA Reveals U.S. Air Force Geophysics Directorate Weather Modification Intentions
- FOIA Reveals U.S. Navy Weather Modification Program Still Active at China Lake
- FOIA Reveals U.S. Air Force Paper “Counterforce Weather Control: SpaceCast 2020”
- Weather as a Force Multiplier: Owning the Weather in 2025
If any of the links above do not work, copy the URL and paste it into the form below to check the Wayback Machine for an archived version of that webpage.